IT Security Experts and Private Equity Principals Converge for Milestone Cybersecurity Summit
Elite Private Equity Principals Join Event Hosted by TetherView, BDO and Columbia University at Lincoln Center
On Thursday, September 27, dozens of IT security specialists and private equity principals representing billions of dollars in assets converged at Lincoln Center, NYC, to discuss and explore today’s increasingly sophisticated and aggressive cyber threats. The maximum capacity Private Equity Cybersecurity Summit was jointly hosted by the Columbia University Center for Technology Management; professional assurance, tax and advisory firm BDO; and private cloud services provider TetherView who conceived and produced the event.
Archived video of the Private Equity Cybersecurity Summit as well as photos may be requested via email to PESummit@TetherView.com.
A few of the notable speakers included Tom Cowan, Associate Director for the Center of Technology Management, Columbia University; Gregory Garret, Head of U.S. and International Cybersecurity, BDO; Michael Abboud, Chief Executive Office, TetherView; and Aristedes Mahairas, special agent in charge of the New York FBI’s cyber division, who was in the news recently for his warning that the U.S. 911 emergency response system is a prime target for terrorist cyber attacks.
One of the many conference highlights was a threat forecast discussion between the following distinguished panelists:
- Douglas J. Pepe – Partner. Joseph Hage Aaronson LLC
- Michael Richter – Associate, Complex Litigations and Trials. Skadden, Arps, Slate. LLP
- Andrew Silberstein – Director, Cybersecurity. BDO
- Eric Feldman – CIO. The Riverside Company
- Robert Picard – CEO & Founder. The Rumson Ridge Group
A complete list of speakers and their bios is available at https://tetherview.com/pe-summit.
Some of the Key Security Principles and Best Practices From the Summit Include:
- Concern about IT security must start at the top with C-Level Executives and Board Members – it can’t only be the responsibility of IT departments.
- Place a priority on the “Human Firewall.” People are still the weakest links in IT security – training, education and testing should be a constant process for all employees.
- A second overlooked aspect in the Human Firewall is the fact that employees will inevitably use outside – and potentially insecure and vulnerable – productivity tools if their needs are not addressed.
- A Kill Switch is a vital component for any network, enabling IT managers to quickly shut down all access to data and rapidly go offline.
- IT security must constantly evolve, in all aspects – technology, training and threat assessment.
- Concerned companies have a tendency to overspend on IT infrastructure. It should be customized and scaled to the organization to be most effective.
To view Michael Abboud’s presentation (TetherView CEO) on the topic of secure cloud services follow this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_2PMj7Xs_o&t=686s
Based out of Fort Monmouth, NJ, TetherView provides custom, flat-fee private clouds that integrate the utmost in security, compliance, business continuity and disaster recovery. With TetherView, businesses transition away from legacy IT into secure and efficient cloud-based computing environments. At the core of each private cloud are Virtual Desktops, which provide users with the closest experience to traditional computers, all while achieving higher performance, enterprise-grade security and true, untethered mobility.
BDO is the brand name for BDO USA, LLP, a U.S. professional services firm providing assurance, tax, and advisory services to a wide range of publicly traded and privately held companies. For more than 100 years, BDO has provided quality service through the active involvement of experienced and committed professionals. The firm serves clients through more than 60 offices and over 500 independent alliance firm locations nationwide. As an independent Member Firm of BDO International Limited, BDO serves multi-national clients through a global network of more than 73,000 people working out of 1,500 offices across 162 countries.
BDO USA, LLP, a Delaware limited liability partnership, is the U.S. member of BDO International Limited, a UK company limited by guarantee, and forms part of the international BDO network of independent member firms. BDO is the brand name for the BDO network and for each of the BDO Member Firms.
About Columbia CTM:
CTM was founded on the recognition that accelerating technology change is an existential threat to every organization—and a major disruptor to the careers of individuals. Its mission is to help organizations focus on the strategic use of technology to create differentiation and help individuals maintain their technical vitality. These goals are achieved through a variety of programs for ongoing education and an extensive network of mentors with expertise in specific industries, as well as specific technical and management disciplines.
For more information, contact: